Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Worst time of the year

Friends, we have made it to that time in the liturgical year again. That's right, it's the endtimes. From here on out, until Advent, the daily Mass readings will all come from the Book of Revelation. In Cycle I (odd years) we get readings from the books of Maccabees, and Daniel. But, since it is Cycle II, we hear only from Revelation.

This is my least favorite time of the liturgical year. I'm okay with the whole Easter season, and hearing only from the Acts of the Apostles for that period, but I really don't like the book of Revelation.

I, John. This is how all the readings start. Then all you seem to hear about is crazy dragons, and beasts and 144,000 people. Now, I'm not dumb enough to not realize that this book is a typical example of apocalyptic literature. That doesn't mean I like it. The endtimes are important, this is true, but must we always hear such strange stories at this time of year?

No comments: