Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Morning Offering

This is another in my unnumbered and non-regular series on my own personal spirituality.

Today I will discuss the morning offering. This is one of a list of things I hope to fully incorporate into my daily life. It is a wonderful practice which helps to orient one's life to the will of God. By offering our day, in its actions and thoughts, to the Lord, we both serve to turn our day into a prayer, and also remind ourselves of the presence and providence of God.

There are many formulas for the morning offering, and a quick internet search would yield many different, good ones. I recommend choosing one that resonates with your own life and spirituality. The one I presently recite follows.
LORD GOD Almighty, Thou hast brought us safely to the beginning of this day. Defend us today by Thy mighty power, that we may not fall into any sin, but that all our words may so proceed and all our thoughts and actions be so directed, as to be always just in Thy sight. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
I found this in my handy handbook of indulgences, it is the Latin Domine Deus omnipotens prayer, and has a partial indulgence attached to it.

If you are interested in developing your personal spirituality, I recommend reciting some form of a morning offering. It is quick and easy, and reminds you to direct your actions to God in all you do.

2 comments:

Gabriella said...

Thank you for reminding us of the morning offering :)

When I was young, I attended a Catholic school run by nuns who made us always write AMDG before we wrote anything else on our exercise books and ... for a long time ... I thought these letters stood for All My Duties for God!

Christina said...

This is the one my father taught me:

Almighty God, I thank you for your past blessings. Today I offer myself - whatever I do, say or think - to your loving care. Continue to bless me, Lord. I make this morning offering in union with the divine intentions of Jesus Christ, who offers himself daily in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, and in union with Mary, His Mother and our Mother, who was always the faithful handmaid of the Lord. Amen.

It's amazing what stays with you from childhood, isn't it?